Thursday, October 2, 2014

Sunday Blues Pt. 2

I'm not done whining about Sunday school--my last post ate two of my writing sessions and I wanted to keep momentum going so I'm breaking it up.

On top of the various strategies to help Merry make it through classes, there's another part of my brain wondering if this is even a battle worth fighting. One mom brought her anxious son to class with the promise that he could leave if and when he wanted, then after a few minutes they took off, no fuss. Should I be doing that? Am I asking too much too soon? I don't think so. I specifically volunteered to be a class aide so that I'd be on hand and Merry wouldn't have to adjust to all this on his own.

Regular church attendance is very important to me, and I don't plan on making it optional for the boys. Pre-K sunday school is not exactly vital curriculum on either a social, academic or spiritual scale, but at the same time the 'take it or leave it' approach feels like the wrong path for us. These early years set the rhythm, the expectation, the family traditions that will carry us through the boys' childhood and adolescence. (Also I'm pretty sure that if given the choice Merry would always opt out, never staying long enough to see whether or not it's fun.)

So yes, I'm willing to give this a good strong try. If it continues to go badly then we can look at other options or waiting another year, but it's not time to give up just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment