Monday, July 18, 2016

Monday whine

Another rough day. Was the last one a Monday too? For awhile I thought that being a SAHM and therefore on duty 24-7, I was immune to the Monday blues. But that was during the school year, when Merry had school and the comfort of a predictable schedule. He's been having a rough time lately, meltdowns and tantrums several times a day instead of only once a week or so. Time to try a few new strategies.

His therapist recommended a scheduling and routine building app for the tablet to help Merry regain some control and predictability. (Choiceworks for iOS, but we'll probably try the similar First Then Visual Schedule on the Android tablet since the boys' iPad is ancient and sloooow) I've been dragging my feet, but I'm pretty sure she's right--his pretend play lately has been putting his toys through morning and bedtime routines. We'll see how it goes.

Incidentally, I hate being the mom who whines about summer. I loved the last few summers we've had, spending most mornings out at parks, bringing a picnic lunch, watching the boys play, and enjoying the gorgeous Pacific Northwest. And I was looking forward to this one too! Still time to salvage it; the hard part is just getting out of the house--once we're out at the park or wherever, things are back to beautiful. I suspect if we can put Merry back on a more even footing, things will vastly improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment