Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli

What a time to be alive! Using a magical device I can summon groceries to my front door within a few hours. Or in other words, Amazon's PrimeNow is my new favorite thing.

I realized this morning that I was missing a few key elements for trying a new recipe and had to face the choice of skipping our park and picnic outing for a store trip or putting off real cooking for yet another day. (These days I can only manage one major outing during the day between naps, feedings, and omg three little people!)

Amazon to the rescue! I was even able to get frozen food, and could have done fresh produce if I'd wanted to spend the time figuring out a minimum order. Anyway, the day was saved and the recipe turned out awesome! Merry and Pippin put it away with nary a complaint, which is unheard of for a new recipe in these parts.

I made a few changes to Tasty's Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli, and it turned out delicious and super-easy.

2 lbs top roast (our market sells it as London Broil), sliced thin (could also use chuck roast or other boneless roast)
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. sesame oil

1 1/12 Tbsp. cooking sherry
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 Tbsp. cornstarch
4 Tbsp. beef broth
1 head of broccoli, cut into florets (or frozen broccoli)


Mix 1c broth, soy sauce, sugar, oil, sherry and garlic in crock pot, then mix in beef. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2 hours. In the last 20 min of cooking, mix cornstarch and 4 tbsp broth, add to crock pot and mix. Steam broccoli separately or add it to beef for the last 5-10 min of cooking. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment